A Chico house on E. 9th St. and Poplar St. caught fire around 12:30 p.m. on Tuesday when painters noticed smoldering shingles on the roof.
Firefighters say roofers had left the home about 45 minutes earlier after finishing repairing damage from a September fire. They say the roofers had waited the required 30 minutes before leaving, but it appears the work ignited from inside the roof.
Five trucks and one engine from Chico Fire were called out to the scene, and had the fire under control within 20 minutes.
No one was injured and investigators are working to evaluate the extent of the damage.